Re: lally column post caps

While I would suspect that bolting might provide uplift capacity (if the caps are fastened to the post, that is), but the bearing will be determined by the wood/plate compressive stresses. I would even go so far as to say that you don't want to bolt the beam down with full size bolts for fear of reducing the bearing capacity when the lumber shrinks (from drying) - it will then bear on he bolts rather than the plate.