From: Jason Emoto [mailto:jemoto(--nospam--at)reidmidd.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 11:05 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: 1997 UBC Section 1630.10.3 Limitations on Story Drift

Yes 30-7 is excluded.  See errata at
http://www.iccsafe.org/cs/codes/errata/1997-ubc-mar-01.pdf.

Jason Emoto

>>> "Henry Gallart" <hgallart(--nospam--at)sideplate.com> 02/23/05 09:23AM >>>

It has come to my attention on a current project that we are looking at
for a client that the building's base shear could be affected by as much
as 26% depending on the correct interpretation of the code.  Since the
1997 commentary of the blue book did not specifically address this, I
thought I would ask my fellow structural engineering community.

Section 1630.10.3 for checking building story drifts specifically
excludes the minimum base shear of Formula (30-6), but does NOT
specifically exclude Formula (30-7) used for Seismic Zone 4.  Does
anybody know the background to this particular section to know if the
intent was to exclude or not exclude Formula (30-7)? A major lateral
designing computer software program has interpreted that Formula (30-7)
is also excluded when checking drift base shear. I want to be sure they
are right.  If not, then get it fixed.

I would greatly appreciate your comments.

Thanks again,

Henry A. Gallart, S.E.
Senior Vice President
SidePlate Systems, Inc.