From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 5:03 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: OUT ON A LIMB: Showing Sample Documents on My Company Website

I want some opinions here.

While in the midst of the worst "work slump" I've experienced in my five
years in the biz, and being down with the 24-Hour Bug thing, I have just
spent several hours (between naps) updating my website.

Part of this you can attribute to "desperation" but I have decided to
put some "sample documents" including reports and drawings up on the
"Project Experience" part of the site as a sort of "cyber-portfolio."
The advantage of the web, of course, is that you can provide as much
information via links as anyone might possibly ever want to know, but
they don't have to immerse themselves if they don't want.

But I'm worried about "liability issues," of course. Having the "bug"
generally ups my paranoia level beyond "normal" anyway, but I do think
that a picture (or a drawing or a report) is worth a thousand words.

I recall several years ago becoming aware that, at least in the
industrial environment most factory and plant managers will *not* allow
you to take photographs--or they reserve the right to review the photos
before you take them away. Their concern is that something inadvertently
might be revealed--say an OSHA violation--that could cause them trouble.

I'd like anyone here who's interested to view my site and tell me what
you think. Is the risk worth it to let people know my capabilities? Or
is it that my documents "stink" to the extent that it's probably better
NOT to show them? Or are there other potential legal liability issues?

FWIW, the documents are in PDF format and I've made it where they cannot
be altered or saved--you might want to check that out for me as well.
BUT they can be viewed in all their gory details including client name, etc.

I can always redact some of this stuff I suppose, but really this is no
different than giving "references" for clients.

Let me know what you think. I'm really rather desperate to be able to
direct prospects to the site and see what I have to offer, but will it
do more harm than good? Running a fever of 99.5F, the paranoia's
definitely there.