Was: OUT ON A LIMB: Important Notice

Bill,
Here is what I included in my report to a client (a City) when I found out that I had also done a similar report a year or so earlier for the property owner (a former client):

"It is my practice to consider all reports and drawings confidential and to comply with the California Board of Professional Engineer's Code of Professional Conduct - Professional Engineers section 475 unless, but not limited to section (d) (1): 'discovering a hazard within the license's field of professional expertise which may threaten the health, safety, and welfare of the public.'"

In short, you should remove all reverences to your clients name and any names associated with the work done unless you have the written approval of the client or are compelled to do so by court order or subpoena - or as noted above. While the work represents your work product and is protected by Intellectual Property Rights but also represents the rights of privacy of your client. One engineer told me that I was not a lawyer, priest or other form of confidant, but the Professions Act in California seems to protect the privacy of my clients work as well and you may wish to check Texas law as well.

This does not mean you can not display the buildings and work you do, but you may be prohibited from full disclosure as one of your documents suggests.

Regards,
Dennis

*Dennis S. Wish, PE*
*California Professional Engineer
Structural Engineering Consultant

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net*
*
760.564.0884 (office - fax)
*

   */This e-mail is intended to be delivered only to the named
   addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and
   proprietary. If this information is received by anyone other than
   the named addressee(s), the recipient(s) should immediately notify
   the sender by e-mail and promptly delete the transmitted material
   from your computer and server. In no event shall this material be
   read, used, stored, or retained by anyone other than the named
   addressee(s) without the express written consent of the sender or
   the named addressee(s)./*