Re: Hairy Slabs

Will Haynes wrote:

I have never seen a slab with fibers sticking out of the surface, but I understand that apparently with time and light they wear away. But in the meantime, wouldn't the fibers stick into the feet of anyone that walked on the slab barefooted?

Will Haynes

If you are walking on a bare slab then you may have a point. You can also run a torch over the slab to burn away the fibers that protrude without doing harm to anything below. Furthermore, there should be few fibers to come through if you are finishing the slab with various coatings or by polishing - most of these will embed any loose fibers (or should at any rate).

I can tell you that my wife and I walked on a bare slab for a few years until we could afford to have our tiles laid. Bare concrete is very hard on the feet as they tend to dry out the skin and in drier climates cause heavy calluses and cracking of those calluses. A finished tile floor or carpet is much easier on the feet, so I would not be as concerned about the fibers as I would about the damage to the feet that comes from the ingredients of the concrete that affect the skin.

--

*Dennis S. Wish, PE*
*California Professional Engineer

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net*
*
760.564.0884 (office - fax)
*

   */This e-mail is intended to be delivered only to the named
   addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and
   proprietary. If this information is received by anyone other than
   the named addressee(s), the recipient(s) should immediately notify
   the sender by e-mail and promptly delete the transmitted material
   from your computer and server. In no event shall this material be
   read, used, stored, or retained by anyone other than the named
   addressee(s) without the express written consent of the sender or
   the named addressee(s)./*