Re: Shear friction methods in masonry

Joe,

I did not find anything in my masonry textbook nor in the code.

I would, however, believe that shear friction would be potentially
applicable.  The same basic principles should apply in masonry as they do
in reinforced concrete (i.e. the bar hold the two surfaces together such
that friction can develop).  So, I would think that you could apply the
same basic methodology from R/C to reinforced masonry, except that the
"numbers" (i.e. the coefficients/factors) might be a little different.
After all, strength design for masonry (in the 2002 MSJC at least) is
basically identical to that of R/C except the factors change a little (you
use 0.80*f'm rather than 0.85*f'c and the beta1 value is constant at 0.80
for masonry while it can vary based upon f'c for R/C...and of course the
phi factor will be different since ACI 318 went to the "unified method).

If I can find anything else, I will let you know.

Scott
Adrian, MI