From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 9:58 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Digital Camera

On Feb 24, 2005, at 7:59 AM, Jordan Truesdell, PE wrote:

> Despite one or two some pretty sill oversights in the Canon G6, I find

> the flip-out LCD viewfinder to be invaluable in these type of
> situations.
For anyone _not_ considering a digital camera for field work, like I
used to, there are plenty more plusses that go way beyond film vs.
pixels.

The first thing is that the instant feedback from each shot improves
your abiity to get good shots. I indulged myself last summer taking
close-ups of flowers in the local woods, and it's had a huge affect on
how I compose good close-up shots of details for forensic
investigation. Repetition and feed-back are the best learning tools in
the world.

The fact that you're not 'wasting film' also makes it easier to try a
bunch of shots of the same weird detail, know that one of them will
probably be absolutely perfect and the rest cost nothing and are
disposable.

Short 'videos' showing stuff like start-up sequences or walk-arounds
with a voice-over really help recall important details better than
written notes.

There are Photoshop techniques for dealing with perspective which allow
you to make passable measurements from digital photographs.

Color perception issues needn't be issues any more

No problem making six sets of prints for everyone and his lawyer

Photo layouts for trial exhibits are easy to do.

1864)
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/