RE: Shear friction methods in masonry

Joe,

Much of the shear in a masonry wall would be resisted in the mortar bed
joints.  Concrete Block masonry is not truly monolithic.  If the grout in
which the reinforcing is embedded is not tightly bonded to the cell walls of
the units, the reinforcing may not be capable of developing shear friction
in the bed joints.  Concrete block walls not built with a shrinkage-control
admixture in the grout may have grout that is not be very well bonded to the
block units.  I've seen a concrete block wall disassembled: the grout cores
had smooth surfaces that had separated very cleanly from the cell walls, as
if there were no bond.  Something to think about.

Nels Roselund, SE
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net