RE: 5/8" Anchor Bolts

Chris,

One thing to keep in mind is that neither ASTM 307 or ASTM F1554 are really "material" specifications per se (although they do have some material sections).  These two ASTMs are really for the manufacturing requirements of bolts (type of threads, head requirements, dimensions, inspection, testing, etc.).  The "material" used by ASTM 307 and ASTM F1554 Grade 36 is essentially ASTM A36.  Typically the bolt dimensions, thread requirements, and stress areas come from ANSI/ASME B1.1.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Christopher Haffner" <chaffner(--nospam--at)gorge.net>

02/24/2005 09:42 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
RE: 5/8" Anchor Bolts

Thank you Mark
That is exactly what I needed to read and confirms my initial thoughts.  The
shank diameter has always been my concern...not the threads.

Just to answer some questions brought forward by others.  541 is east of
Portland Oregon at the far east end of seismic country.  Half of my
"territory" of work is SDC C but most of my work comes from an area that is
barely SDC D.  Makes for some interesting discussions.  As far as I know
ASTM A307 is what is normally specified in the area.  There are some high
load shearwalls in this house so I will be advising the owner appropriately.

Thanks to all who responded.
Chris
Haffner Consulting Engineering
541-478-3052