Retaining Wall Design in ASCE7

I'm struggling with ASCE7's load combinations as they deal with
surcharge.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only ASD load combinations
that contain a 'built-in factor of safety' for overturning and sliding
are .6DL+H+W and .6DL+H+.7E.  But what happens when you have a surcharge
on the wall due to live load? Would you then use the D+L+H equation,
which does NOT contain the factor of safety for overturning and sliding?
That doesn't sound right, though IMHO that's what it looks like in
ASCE7.

And if you were to add the lateral effects due to the live load, but not
add the vertical portion of that load, that would seem overly
conservative, since you CAN'T actually have one portion without the
other.

Brian S. Bossley, PE
Ventura Engineering
7610 Olentangy River Rd.