RE: OUT ON A LIMB: Showing Sample Documents on My Company Website

Bill:

Here I go again, quoting from the rules that govern the practice of engineering in Texas and trying to keep you out of trouble.  Copied below is the section that covers the relationship between engineers and their clients.  Most people would consider drawings, specifications and reports that were prepared for a client (and paid for by that client) to be private information, regardless of who "owns" the documents.  Accordingly, posting any of these documents on your website is not a good idea.

Also, it would be best to stay off the Sudafed and its derivatives!

Regards,

Big Honcho
Dallas

§137.61 Engineers Shall Maintain Confidentiality of Clients

(a) The engineer may reveal confidences and private information only with a fully informed client's or employer's consent, or when required by law or court order; or when those confidences, if left undisclosed, would constitute a threat to the health, safety or welfare of the public.

(b) The engineer shall not use a confidence or private information regarding a client or employer to the disadvantage of such client or employer or for the advantage of a third party.

(c) The engineer shall exercise reasonable care to prevent unauthorized disclosure or use of private information or confidences concerning a client or employer by the engineer's employees and associates.