Re: structural fee for apartment

Paul Crocker wrote:

You will need to consider the amount of effort required. A complex building may take you 2 or 3 times as long to design as a simple one. I have worked on several projects where the 25% of the building that consisted of special and unusal conditions took longer to design than the other 75%. Square footage is a decent starting point, but it is only a part of the story.
My biggest frustration lately is that I seem to be either "way too high" on my fees (if I'm talking to a client) or "way too low" when I'm reading here.

Just "bid" a renovation job--renovation, mind you. The job construction cost was about $150,000. Guy wanted "soup to nuts," including architectural and MEP, plus there was an ADA review involved which has come to be a real bear.

I got together the team to do it, the fee calculated out to $18,000. The contractor replied "that's outrageous!" and went on to someone who claimed he'll do the whole thing for about $7-8K less!

Now personally, I don't see it. My strucural fee was only going to be between $3,000-4,000; the rest going to the other guys.

My frustration level with the whole fee structure thing is at an all-time high.