RE: Steel beam unbraced length limit

I believe that if the design code allows you to do it, and you show in your
calcs that the beam is adequate for the design loads, I don't see a problem
with having long unbraced lengths.  If what you are being told is the case,
then you would think that AISC would have some sort of statement saying
such.  No statement, design away.

Dave Maynard, PE
Gillette, Wyoming