Image Database

I've recently finished an inspection of a largish bridge, the result of
which is a thousand odd photos of rusted bits of steel, with associated
descriptions and miscellaneous data fields. Right now its all in a bunch of
excel spreadsheets which is quite messy. I have been playing around with
putting all the images in MS Access with the idea being that I will have
one mammoth file which I can sort and filter and do all kinds of nifty
database things. The concept is good, but I've been having trouble with the
execution. Access doesn't seem to be very good at dealing with images.

Does anyone have experience with using Access or for that matter any kind
of database program for managing large numbers of images with associated
data?

Michael Ludvik, PE
Hardesty & Hanover