RE: Steel beam unbraced length limit

In general, I would not place a limit on unbraced length as long as the
beam meets the code requirements. However, I sometimes get nervous when
the allowable stress based on the code is very low - although this
forces the applied loads to also be very low, it implies that the beam
does not have much lateral stiffness.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO