Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 10:27 AM
Subject: Re: New Motherboard

Thor,
I would agree with Arvel - ASUS makes excellent boards and I've used
them and Abit for years. I don't think the software is hung up in the
BIOS settings or the motherboard upgrade with a couple exceptions.
As Arvel noted, the problem may be due to the video system. The older
boards used PCI video cards while the new boards have Video built into
the board for non-game players. OR if you have installed a video care it
uses one of the updated slots (I never added the video card, but I think
it is called an AGI something or AGP something). The point is that you
will notice the difference as the newer video cards require a special
slot that isincluded on the new boards. If you updated your video card
in the process, there may be a conflict with the video card drivers.

At any rate - searching on Google or one of your favorite search engins
should lead you to a user forum for the video card manufacturer OR for
the ASUS board (I think there is a user group on the UseNet). Look on
the website for the board and for the video card to see if there is a
discussion related to the conflict.

I also found that CPU Magazine which I have a subscription to, is a
"gamer's" magazine that has a users forum on their website. If the ASUS
board is a higher end board that appeals to gamers then you should be
able to get a reasonable answer to your question on this forum. I am not
a gamer, but the magazine appeals to those who build their own systems
and those who modify the appearance of their computs (with windows of
plastic and neon lights, custom colors etc). These are called "Mod's"
and CPU appeals most to those who modify their systems to always have
the newest and best regardless of cost.

CPU has evolved and is now appealing to a wider market - still involved
with coders and those who wish to display their powerful Mod's but also
those who rely upon cellular communication using the Internet, PDA's and
many others. The website also lists all bios and software updates
available for most of the motherboards and graphic cards since this is
the core of interest to those who read the magazine.

Give this a try to find out where the problem is. Have you considered
moving from W2K to XP Professional or Home?

Dennis

--

*Dennis S. Wish, PE*
*California Professional Engineer