Re: New Motherboard

Charley Hamilton wrote:

> I must admit ignorance of W2K - I thought it was an NT based OS which is also > true of XP. However, I understood that W2k is more of a network operating > system tool. Assuming it is similar to XP or NT then the reinstallaion will
> help.

Dennis -

Win2k is/was NT5.  WinXP Pro was NT6 (sorta) with some of the Win9x/ME
flavor thrown in to create a more "user friendly" front end to the
NT-style back end.  This of course also led to the much maligned (IMHO
well-deserved) WinXP Home, the bastard child of NT and ME.  "Users can't
handle having to log in a Administrator to install programs."  Yeah,
right.

Win2k was the first pass at relieving NT 4 of its "unpleasant
task" list (e.g. installing new devices.  It added UPnP and a couple
of other usability features to make administration easier than
it was under NT4.  I personally prefer it to XP Pro based only on
my experience with the former and lack of such with the latter.

Charley

Charley,
You confirmed what I knew. When I first started using XP it was imposing on me as I never connected my computers via LAN and did not understand the ideology of setting up a network or needing to have an administrator. In time, I set up a wireless LAN between three computers and found it difficult to coordinate them using the Window's network help. However, each piece of hardware came with a program to help make the installation easier. I worked through the Orinoco, Belkin, DLink and finally Linksys. Belkin took a number of upgrades of their software until I was able to easily make the connection and DLink was the worst when it came to setting up a gateway. Linksys was the best and the most reliable, so I ended up buying the Linksys 802.11b and g wireless router and using Belkin card on one laptop and on an older laptop, I used the Belkin USB network card and on my tower unit that is embedded into my office furniture, I had better results with the Linksys USB network card that is mounted above my monitor. My point is that XP forced users to rethink how computers will effect their lives - the same information that those using NT and W2k understand. NT and W2k were originally network intended operating systems.

Anyway - thanks for your reply as I know understand that W2k is essentially similar to XP.

Regards and thanks
Dennis

--

*Dennis S. Wish, PE*
*California Professional Engineer

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net*
*
760.564.0884 (office - fax)
*

   */This e-mail is intended to be delivered only to the named
   addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and
   proprietary. If this information is received by anyone other than
   the named addressee(s), the recipient(s) should immediately notify
   the sender by e-mail and promptly delete the transmitted material
   from your computer and server. In no event shall this material be
   read, used, stored, or retained by anyone other than the named
   addressee(s) without the express written consent of the sender or
   the named addressee(s)./*