RE: Image Database

Michael:

Take a look at Filemaker Pro.  Back before I entered the real world (i.e.
when I was still in school), I worked one summer for Ford Motor Company in
their vehicle weight reduction group.  The one task this group did was
disassemble an entire Ford vehicle, put all the parts on tables in a big
room and have various employees (mostly techinical or engineering related)
come and suggest ways to reduce weight (cut holes, change material, etc).
The interns' job was to determine an approximate weight reduction for each
suggestion.  Then a graphic artist would draw the part, which would be
scanned into the computer.  That image (with suggested holes, etc) plus
other data would be put in a Filemaker database.

The point is that Filemaker Pro at that time handled images very well.
You could actually create "image" fields.

Now, at that time Filemaker Pro was Mac only and was still a flat file
database.  It is now available for Windoze and Mac...and it has become a
relational database.  I would assume that it still handles images/graphics
well, but don't know for sure as it has been a while since I used it.

They also were considering a database called 4D that also handles images
well but was relational.  I don't know if it is still around...but it also
was a Mac only database at that time.

I would definitely suggest taking a look at Filemaker Pro.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI