Wintel addiction [was: New Motherboard]

> From: Christopher Wright <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com>

> > Win2k is/was NT5.  WinXP Pro was NT6 (sorta) with some of the Win9x/ME
> > flavor thrown in to create a more "user friendly" front end to the
> > NT-style back end.  This of course also led to the much maligned (IMHO
> > well-deserved) WinXP Home, the bastard child of NT and ME.  "Users
> > can't handle having to log in a Administrator to install programs."
> > Yeah, right.

> How do Wintel users stand it? It must be like being shackled to a horse
> which needs its head cut off and replaced every couple of years.
> Constantly sweeping up behind and the personality swings seem a high
> price to pay for not having to walk everywhere.

9 out of 10 Mac network adminstrators agree that capital costs are a
tiny portion of system costs and the Mac is lowest life cycle cost. The
10th guy is trying to justify the money he spent on becoming an MCSE.

I bought a PC recently. I ran out of practical options, for any price.
(Hello, Formsys; Remember us Mac Multiframe users? 10 year old software
and it still shames <PC based competitor>! Please, upgrade to run on
newer platforms with current international design standards.)

> From: Christopher Wright <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com>
> On Feb 25, 2005, at 8:02 PM, Bill Polhemus wrote:
>
> > They "stand it" because the software they need to do their work runs
> > on Windows.
> I hear you. But it drives me nuts. Like someone telling me I have to go
> around shackled to a horse because some marketing droid thinks he knows
> best. Lucky for me I've figured out ways around it. Corporate IT is

I met a marketing rep for a wireless device manufacturer. Of course, the
discussion about Mac support came around. He claimed that they couldn't
make money on the 5% Mac market. I pointed out that:
1) his product was proven Mac compatible (they would not put this on
their box as they would have to provide service support ... which is
less for Mac installations),
2) the comparable "Mac compatible" product was retailing for 2x the
low-ball competition-driven cost of his product (he didn't know this),
meaning that the real Mac market sales profit would actually look like a
30% market share compared to PC based sales,
3) the markets of the two products are different and a higher percentage
of Mac owners would likely buy such a product, again, increasing the
apparent value of the general Mac market share.

Shrugged sholders.

> >  Linux makes far more sense than MacOS ever will because (a) the
> > hardware's a non-issue--it'll run on anything pretty much; and (b) the
> > TCO is the lowest of any platform.
> My horse analogy applies to UNIX vs Windows as well as Mac vs Windows.
> UNIX is great. Macs are UNIX boxes right out of the shrink wrap. If it
> runs on UNIX, the source code probably compiles for a Mac, using the
> C-compiler that's bundled. Plenty of source code hanging around for
> someone who wants to compile it. My son compiles UNIX code from
> Sourceforge for light entertainment. I spent a lot of time on some UNIX

It makes me want to cry. It appears that structural engineering software
has left the Unix playground, as well.

Paul

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.