Embedding pictures into Reports

We just had a discussion regarding digital camera's and most of us are shooting pictures that take up over 2-4Mb per shot. If I want to copy and paste a shot into a Word report (or other OLE based program) which will give me the best picture and how do I reduce the resolution and size of the embedded picture. Here is what I know of Digital world. Resolution such as 7 mega pixel relates to the size of the picture taken. In general a 7 mega pixel resolution is something around 3072x2304 which is equivalent to an 8x10 picture. When saved, the file size is nearly 3 Megabytes which would create a report full of pictures that is extremely large.

If I reduce the picture by a copy and paste, am I reducing the size of the information embedded into the report without losing sharpness or focus?

How do you best use these pictures (assuming a normal setting is still close to this size) for use in reports or to help the plan checker understand the deficiencies on a remodel you are doing?

Any help?
Thanks
Dennis
--

*Dennis S. Wish, PE*
*California Professional Engineer

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net*
*
760.564.0884 (office - fax)
*

   */This e-mail is intended to be delivered only to the named
   addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and
   proprietary. If this information is received by anyone other than
   the named addressee(s), the recipient(s) should immediately notify
   the sender by e-mail and promptly delete the transmitted material
   from your computer and server. In no event shall this material be
   read, used, stored, or retained by anyone other than the named
   addressee(s) without the express written consent of the sender or
   the named addressee(s)./*