Re: Steel beam unbraced length limit

Will,

I think long Lb is OK to be used.  AISC had so many engineers and
researchers working at it for so long, if this part included in the
LRFD specification is not believable, what can we believe?

Please make sure that the end supports are restrained.  If you look
into the details on page 2-14 of the 3rd edition LRFD, stiffener
plates at the support (almost like blocking at the end of wood joists)
are important.  Otherwise the Lb may not be from support to support.

Sam

Cupertino, CA