Re: Structural importance of full-depth shrinkage cracks

But, before the full catenary tension could develop,
the crack would have closed by compression at top
fibres of the section, in which case the load would be
resisted by flexure. Also, remember that a catenary
behavior would generate large horizontal forces at the
supports. The fact that one of the quoted structure is
20 years old and the fact that it is still in tact
suggests that it is experiencing only flexure.
Theoretically, the structure is okay as is. However,
my preference would be to seal the crack all the way
with a liquid consistency epoxy grout. Sika or
Masterbuilders or Five Star should be able to
recommend a suitable product.

Rajendran