From: Adam Vakiener [mailto:avakiener(--nospam--at)southernae.com]
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2005 9:10 AM
To: SEAINT
Subject: Diaphragm Design

A question has recently come up at my office regarding steel deck
diaphragm attachment.  The capacities listed in diaphragm tables are
shear capacities.  However, if the diaphragm is continuous over a
support line then a force equal to the sum of the 2 shears from each
side of the support must be transfered into the support.  I cannot find
any guidance in the SDI manual as to how this force should be accounted
for.  If I design the diaphragm attachment to resist the design
diaphragm shear, are additional fasteners required at the support line
due to the 2 shear forces coming from each side of the support?

--
Adam Vakiener, PE
Structural Engineer