RE: Precast Prestressed Bridge Beams

In Texas, we design the beams, but provide the precaster with the
information that would be needed to provide an alternate design.  This
includes the design load tensile and compressive stresses, and required
ultimate moment capacity.  This allows the precaster to come up with an
alternate strand pattern that optimizes the use of the casting yard for
a given day's batch of beams.  We review these designs with the shop
drawings.

You can download a design program, PSTRS14, from the TxDOT web site to
come up with designs.  A word of warning, however: The program was
written in the days of punch cards, and requires input from a precisely
formatted text file (i.e. columns xx-yy of line xx is the field for the
applied dead load after the beam is composite with the slab, etc.).
It's a pain, but not too bad, once you have a template file set up.  I
believe a new program is in the works from AASHTO for the new LRFD HL-

-- Joel

Joel C. Adair, PE
Halff Associates, Inc.
E-mail: jadair(--nospam--at)halff.com