From: Mark Pemberton [mailto:markpemberton(--nospam--at)sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 11:45 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: FW: Professional Duties

I was not aware that "primary" elements were required to be designed by the EOR.  I thought any engineer under the guidance of an EOR could do the work.

Mark Pemberton, S.E.
Pemberton Engineering
Davis, CA

Rob Still <robs(--nospam--at)adcengineering.com> wrote:
Our office is currently researching National / Regional Standards for
Professional Duties / Standards of Practice. Specifically, we are
trying to locate a nationally recognized entity which may specify
exactly what is and is not included in Standard Structural Services and
Building Design. Ultimately we would like to use a national standard or
reference in Contractual Negotiations which would clarify the
differences in Primary structural systems and Secondary structural
systems / component design.

Is anyone aware of an industry standard Structural Engineer / Architect
Contract that spells out responsibilities? For instance, should
non-loading bearing metal stud walls be designed by EOR or secondary
engineer? Other examples include ceiling bracing systems, piping and
lighting bracing systems, soffit framing, and the list goes on and on...

Otherwise what are the typical office standards currently in use amongst
list members? In our office we typically provide performance / design
requirements for secondary components which we interpret to include
interior and exterior metal studs, all secondary component bracing
systems, roofing system designs (Standing Seam clips, built up roof
fasteners, etc) and other "Non-Primary (Vertical and lateral) Systems."

Please do not hesitate to call with any questions or comments.

Thanks,

Rob Still, P.E.
ADC Engineering, Inc.

Civil Engineering
Structural Engineering
Roofing And Waterproofing Consulting
LAND PLANNING AND LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org