RE: Image Database

Frank,

Thanks for the tip. I had a look at Photoshop Album, and its good in that
it has data fields associated with each image which are partly customizable
in the full version. The problem is that they aren't quite customizable
enough. For instance, all the customizable fields seem to be binary, so it
would prevent me from putting in a location identifier in one field, and a
description in another. Another problem with these "home use" photo
databases is that you can't customize the printout style quite as much as I
would like. We are supposed to print out our photos in a particular format
as specified by our clients, and you can't do that with many of these
packages.

I guess I really need a database program of some kind to get the level of
customization that I need. I would also like to be able to link it to other
databases and spreadsheets to compare various bits of data. For example, I
have my inspection database, my client has their own inspection database
with ratings for each member, and it would be nice to correlate between the
two. Access is perfect for the job except for the fact that it handles
images so inefficiently.

Michael

             "Frank Yang"
             <yang(--nospam--at)abam.com>
             03/02/2005 10:20          <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         RE: Image Database
             <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.or
                    g>

Michael,

How about a low cost solution?  Have you try Adobe Photoshop Album yet?  It
allows you tag your photos, and filter photo according to timeline or tags.
For example, you can tag a photo with "Project X", "concrete", and "50%
section loss".  When you check "Project X" and "50% section loss" all
photos
belong to Project X with 50% section loss shows up.  When you only check
50%
section loss, all project with photos having 50% section loss shows up.  I
used the free version (you can download from Adobe) at work to manage my
project photos.

Frank

Frank Yang, P.E.
Project Engineer                      BERGER/ABAM Engineers Inc
Voice: 206-431-2374                  33301 9th Ave S, Suite 300
Fax:   206-431-2250                 Federal Way, WA  98003-2600
yang(--nospam--at)abam.com                               http://www.abam.com

Notice: This message (including any attachments) contains confidential
protected
by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this
message, and any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or
the taking of any action based upon it, is prohibited.