From: chuck utzman [mailto:chuckuc(--nospam--at)pacbell.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2005 4:09 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: waterproofing a retaining wall...

Xypex is not a "surface sealer".  Although it is often surface applied, my preference is to use it as an admixture. If & when moisture enters the concrete through a crack, the material grows crystals that follow the moisture & plug the crack. I know Gail doesn't believe in it, but I've used it with great success.
Chuck Utzman, P.E.
Lutz, James wrote:
Xypex does a good job of sealing a concrete surface, but I don't know that
it is so great if you have future cracks to bridge. Something more flexible
might be better. If the intent is to waterproof the lagging wall, then build
a concrete wall interior to it, something like "Liquid Boot" or other
membrane coatings might be more forgiving.