Business policies on snow leave

Our small firm is trying to develop some policies and one is with regard to leave due to snow events.  The company (at the CEO’s suggestion) wants to provide employees with what is termed “Unscheduled Leave” but wants to make it at the Company’s discretion and not the employee’s.  Of course, the CEO lives close to the office and has 4 WD.  And, everyone’s situation is different—how far they have to commute, some areas got hit with more snow than others, etc.  What sort of guidelines might work.  The leave is indicated as being up to 3 days/yr.  Perhaps we have the wrong thing in mind.

Does anyone have any experience or can you give me feedback on policies that do (and don’t work)?  I’m probably opening this up to a lot of comment, but I’d like to get some info on this.

Candi Anderson, P.E.