Re: Ceiling deflection damage caused by excessive snow - who is responsible

Dennis:

Dennis:

There seems to be some sort of a disconnect here concerning the proper snow loads criteria.   What was the snow load criteria, which is usually provided by the local building official in keeping with section 1614 of the CBC?   Further, did your friend review and approve and complete the design of the trusses as required by the CBC and the ANSI/TPI design standards?    The snow loads for this year might have been high, but I don't know if this area had 12" of snow or 20 feet of snow to try to come up with some sort of good response to your questions.   Engineers in our area have had problems with joists designed by the truss companies here.  Last year I decided to try to provide to my one client where I'm using trusses to have a specialty truss engineer provide the design.

In El Dorado County, the building department has a web site where one can enter the APN (area parcel number) and the maximum ground snow load were be provided for the specific parcel.

Another problem could be improper ventilation which will cause the trusses to move and also detailing of the trusses where they pass over non-bearing walls.  Most of these issues have been discussed in the past on this list and these issues are also addressed by the gypsum board association.

Neil Moore, S.E.
neil moore and associates