Re: Ceiling deflection damage caused by excessive snow - who is responsible

On 4 Mar 2005 at 20:21, Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/4/05 5:09:58 PM, h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca writes: >
> One possibility: a higher building could have been built after the
> subject > building and it should become the second building owner's
> responsibility to > reinforce the roof of the older building. >
> Really?   You mean when a new high rise is built in Chicago, Denver,
> etc., that owner "should" reinforce all of the surrounding lower
> building roofs?   I find this difficult to believe.

Yes, because of the danger to neighbours from having
excessive snow loads on their roofs, through no fault
of their own.

> Or when I build a second story onto my home I "should" have to
> strengthen my immediate one-story neighbors' roofs?

In the Ontario Building Code, most houses are built to
prescriptive requirements and consequently there is no
requirement to check for drifted snow on to a neighbour's
house.  However, there is the  belief is that there is
not sufficient snow on a house to cause significant
drifts on a lower house.  I know of no roof failures in
houses due to snow drifts, but there have been several
in large buildings where there is a lot of snow on a
roof, and the Canadian code recognizes this by taking
into account the area of the higher roof.
Gary
on a lower house