Re: Ceiling deflection damage caused by excessive snow - who  is responsible

Ralph:

Counties and cities am not responsible for their employees lack of knowledge..........

This county said I was negligent because " I should have known the information given to me by the plan checker was not correct"..... a day in the life for engineers.

I designed a project in the same area as Dennis project. I was given 20 psf snow load by the plan checker, as they were filing out the permit his boss walked by and picked up the calc's and noticed the 20 psf snow load and proceeded to tell client this should be 45 psf your engineer screwed up, this needs to be revised.  (this had passed two plan checks at that point) .....The boss told the client that I should have talked to the head engineer not the plan checker.

Outcome Client refused to pay for time to revise calcs.

 Made up some time with site visits  Bad lesson learned

This was 14 years ago.

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA