Re: Ceiling deflection damage caused by excessive snow - who is responsible

Thank you for the information; I'd never heard of this before.  But then we don't get much snow in the San Francisco Area.  :)

Ralph

In a message dated 3/5/05 6:21:47 PM, h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca writes:

Ralph,
        The law requires this in Alberta, Canada.  I'm not sure about your codes.
Regards,
H. Daryl Richardson

----- Original Message -----

From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com

To: h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca ; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 6:21 PM

Subject: Re: Ceiling deflection damage caused by excessive snow - who is responsible

In a message dated 3/4/05 5:09:58 PM, h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca writes:

One possibility: a higher building could have been built after the subject building and it should become the second building owner's responsibility to reinforce the roof of the older building.

Really?  You mean when a new high rise is built in Chicago, Denver, etc., that owner "should" reinforce all of the surrounding lower building roofs?  I find this difficult to believe.

Or when I build a second story onto my home I "should" have to strengthen my immediate one-story neighbors' roofs?

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA