Re: Ceiling deflection damage caused by excessive snow - who is responsible

Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

Isn't this called incompetence? What's the use of having a building department if they don't catch something as basic--and serious--as this?

With respect--and I do mean that--that's a very strange concept, that the building department is supposed to "catch" problems like this.

The reason it seems strange to me is that whatever "building department" you might find in the various municipalities around here is likely to be staffed by someone who once worked summers in high school for his uncle, the carpenter, and knows how to use a tape measure (although it's been awhile).