Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 12:28 PM
Subject: Re: Business policies on snow leave

Well, my old firm had a call-in policy.  If it was _really_ bad - so dangerous that the CEO didn't want to lose an employee bad - the office would be closed. The auto-attendant message would
updated - usually 45 minutes to an hour before the start of the day.  It happened maybe two or  three times in the four years I worked there (I live in the Appalachian mountains of Virginia).

A liberal leave/makeup policy was allowed - if you were late or absent due to snow, you could take vacation (and later "personal time off") OR you could make up the time within the current two week pay period. If the snow day occured on the last day or two of the pay period, you were offically required to take personal leave, however the unwritten rule was salaried employees (professionals) could quitely make it up the subsequent payperiod and call it even. The written payperiod rules were fashioned to stay within the letter of the overtime laws.

On the subject of leave, I always thought the policy at my wife's old firm was interesting. They had a specific number of vacation days, and unlimited sick days. Yes, you heard right - UNLIMITED sick days. The catch was that "abusing" the sick leave policy was grounds for dismissal. Abuse was not defined in the manual. (They carried LTD for everyone, and sick ended where LTD took over).

Jordan