From: Acie Chance [mailto:achance(--nospam--at)lacsd.org]
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 3:50 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Tongue & Groove Diaphragm Retrofit

James

    The section properties for a 21WF59 are:

  Area=17.36  Depth=20.91   Flange Width=8.230   Flange Thickness=0.575  Web
Thickness=0.39
  Ixx=1246.8    Sxx=119.3   rx=8.47   Iyy=49.2   Syy=12.0   ry=1.68

  Hope this helps.  I bought the Fourth Edition of the AISC Manual for $5.00
in a used book store in Sacrament some ten years ago and this is the first
time I used it.

   As for the roof diaphragm is the 1/2 inch Plywood really going to do
anything applied over the existing two inch decking.  I do not know a lot
about wood but the shear must be transferred through the connection of the
two inch deck to the purlins and steel beams below to form the building
ties.  It maybe by the time you make all these connection the two inch deck
will calc. out similar to sheet metal decks. Just a thought.

Acie Chance