From: Jonathan Smith [mailto:jsmith(--nospam--at)summitengineering.us]
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 7:16 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Fire Damaged Slab on Grade

What recommendations do you have for collecting information for a condition
survey of a residential single family dwelling garage slab-on-grade
(presumably a turned down slab at perimeter) that has been subjected to a
fire? I plan to visit the site this weekend. I realize that the extent of
potential damage is a function of the fire duration and burn temperature and
possibly the type of aggregate.

Expensive petrographic analysis does not appear warranted as a new wood
framed gable roof and light framed walls will be the only structural loads
applied at the perimeter other than vehicle loads within the garage area.
The Client appears reluctant to pay for coring as well. Schmidt hammer
testing should provide some relative idea of compressive strength. What are
your thoughts?

Jonathan D. Smith, P.E., Owner
Summit Engineering & Inspection
236 Lorraine Drive