Steel Stair with horizontal bracing

I have come across a stair design with bracing being provided below the
threads (horizontal chevron like configuration bracing, spanning from
stringer to stringer). This is a regular self supporting one story stair
with channel stringers and metal pan threads.  Landing consists of 4 columns
braced either direction.

Wanted to get your opinion as to why this is done and if it is really
required.  The braces were probably added to transfer the in-plane forces to
the stringer but the welding in from the thread to the stringer should
possible be sufficient.  I have come across these (and similar with tension
rob x-bracing) in refineries and plants but not in buildings.

But are these required?

Thank you

- Aswin
Aswin Rangswamy, P.E.