Re: Fire Damaged Slab on Grade

Garner, Robert wrote:
I would recommend you drag a heavy chain across the slab to reveal any
delamination from heat expanded aggregate.  The chain will "ring" on good
concrete and have a dull sound where there is delamination.  Simple and very
effective.

Bob Garner, S.E.

Gosh, I love this one. Thanks Bob - I think it is really neat to learn little tricks like this. Years ago, Ben Schmidt use to push a nail into the bed and head joints of masonry walls to determine if the strength of the mortar bond was strong enough or needed cleaning and pointing. I used a key and did a light scrape.
I also tap paver tiles and if one sounds hollow it means that the bottom was not buttered and that there is a chance the tile will crack in time so avoid putting anything of weight on it.
Great tip - thanks again.
Dennis

--

Dennis S. Wish, PE