RE: Steel Stair with horizontal bracing

Last week I was on a long stair to a tall building roof - I could feel
the stair sway sideways slightly as I walked up it.

If the stringers are designed for the span as laterally unsupported,
they should be okay - but I think that stringers are often assumed to be
laterally supported due to the stair treads. (I think this was discussed
on this list a few months ago.) I think that the treads help some but I
don't think that they provide full lateral support.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311