RE: Weights for design

Somewhat of a side issue but rather interesting: Back in the ‘80s, the Building Department of Santa Cruz CA required the use of wet weight for batt insulation in the ceilings of commercial structures.

Bo

From: Jordan Truesdell, PE [mailto:seaint(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 12:42 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Weights for design

If the roof can be covered with asphalt shingles, always count two layers for gravity loads (2.5 to 3.0 psf is typical).  Sprinklers usually gets lumped into a 4 to 5 psf "MEP" catchall unless it "looks" heavy (lots of lighting or lots of piping...both usually require special circumsstances in the buildings).

R30 is usually batts or rigid. A lot of churches tend to be built like big houses, and FG batts are common around me. Batts are light, but I can't find a number right now (0.1 to 0.2 psf per inch?), and are usually R3 to R4.5 per inch depending on the density. EPS rigid is 0.2psf/in and about R3.5 per inch, Urethane/Icynene is 0.5psf/in and R7 per inch. Either way, 2psf for insulation should do it.

I think the "Fiberous Glass" number is from the ASCE-7 dead load tables (C3-1), and is really meant for rigid fiberglass panels. That type is commonly used to insulate ductwork and to create sound-attenuating panels, and not for building insulation.

Jordan