RE: Weights for design

When I first started out, I used to calculate the roof
dead load (usually 15 -16 psf in this area for an
industrial roof) and use that as my design load, but
I quickly learned that some areas had larger loadings
due to sprinklers, heavier duct work, industrial lines
etc, and so I bumped my loadings to 20 psf.  Then I
found out architects often changed the style of roof
without always informing me---once the roof totaled
23 psf but fortunately the joists were OK.  Then we
had a roof collapse in an accident.  The roof dead load
(no sprinklers, etc) totaled 30 psf due to build up of
roofing over the years.  I now design for 25 psf and
nobody ever questions it much.
Gary