Delegation of responsibility - was "plan checker" which was "ceiling deflection"

Relying on a plan checker seems like relying on a building inspector to perform your job and relieve you of your liability. It is nice to have a second set of eyes to check one's work, but, even if similar tasks could be delegated through a subcontract to others, the PE would, in my opinion, still have primary responsibility for the PE's work product. If the plan checker failed to do their job, they are only responsible to the extent of their contract (in the case of this discussion, with the municipality). It would seem to me that the chain of responsibility would follow the path of the contracts.

Of course, always consult an attorney first...

James Cohen, PE
James Cohen Consulting, PC
http://expertpages.com/jccpc