RE: Multi-story wood framed w/lots of openings

I just looked at the AF&PA perforated shearwall document.  The top detail of Figure 5 on page 8 relies on nails in withdrawal to resist uplift.  I don’t agree with this.  Anyone else?  It would be easy enough to strap this joint, however, as shown in the other connection in this detail.

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: chuck utzman [mailto:chuckuc(--nospam--at)pacbell.net]
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 8:03 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Multi-story wood framed w/lots of openings

David-
There are 2 approaches to the problem:
1. Empirical Method (see AF&PA). It's quick & dirty. You'll need a legitimate shearwall (4' with an 8' plate) at each end. I'm also dubious about the drift "calculation" in the Stone paper.

2. Rational Method (see Wood Engineering & Construction Handbook by Faherty/Williamson). The arithmetic is a little tedious, but it provides a straightforward way to evaluate all the shear & strap requirements.  Usually the full panels aren't available for the empirical approach, so it's either this or Simpson/Hardy/? manufactured systems with a lot of highly loaded tiedowns. (& I agree with what I think Sharon wrote :o) It's hard to get the threaded rod system properly installed by an average framer).

Both  methods  give you 2 tiedowns (at each end).  I'm not comfortable without reinforcement at the openings so I use the Rational approach but YMMV.
Chuck Utzman, P.E.

Eli Grassley wrote:

David –

There is a great technical guide from the AF&PA written by Jeffrey Stone, PhD that covers perforated shear walls a little more in depth than the IBC does.  With lots of wall openings you should definitely think about using a perforated analysis with holdowns only at the extreme ends of the wall.  Check it out:

http://www.awc.org/technical/PerforatedShearwallDesign.pdf

Eli Grassley

PSM Engineers

Seattle, WA