Re: Multi-story wood framed w/lots of openings

In a message dated 3/10/05 10:29:04 AM, rgarner(--nospam--at)moffattnichol.com writes:
I just looked at the AF&PA perforated shearwall document.  The top detail of Figure 5 on page 8 relies on nails in withdrawal to resist uplift.  I don’t agree with this.  Anyone else?  It would be easy enough to strap this joint, however, as shown in the other connection in this detail.

I have similar concerns.  I recommend watching Simpson Co.'s video of a dynamic test of a plywood shear wall, with the end studs bouncing about an inch off the bottom plate as the forces reverse, tearing the plywood away from the framing near the bottom of the end stud, etc.  Essentially the 'quake disassembles the wall.  It put the fear of (earthquake) into me!

Ralph
Ralph Hueston Kratz
Structural Engineer
Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com