From: Bill Allen, S.E. [mailto:T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 10:56 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Multi-story wood framed w/lots of openings

I guess this is one (of the few) times I agree with Dennis. If I’m going to use a shear wall with openings, I’m going to strap across the openings using the methodology presented in the Seismic Design Manual (Volume II, starting on page 40) published by the Structural Engineers Association of California. Often, I have cases where I physically cannot transfer the load around the opening. When that happens, I use two piers or some other solution. Perhaps APA (or someone else) can do some cyclic testing on a perforated shear wall assembly and ask SEAOC to review and comment.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

http://www.AllenDesigns.com

V (949) 248-8588