RE: Multi-story wood framed w/lots of openings

On 10 Mar 2005, at 10:19, Garner, Robert wrote:

> I just looked at the AF&PA perforated shearwall document.  The top detail of
> Figure 5 on page 8 relies on nails in withdrawal to resist uplift.  I don't
> agree with this.  Anyone else?  It would be easy enough to strap this joint,
> however, as shown in the other connection in this detail.
>

> Bob Garner, S.E.

Given the way that the figure shows a line in the wall sheathing at the bottom
plate of the upper wall and the 2nd floor sheathing interface, there would
be no transfer of load in the sheathing, and I agree that the nail identified
to resist the uplift forces is inadequate to handle that type of loading.

I generally show on a detail or specify that the wall sheathing span over
the wall/rim joist connection thereby using the wall sheathing for the force
transfer to the rim joist and the lower sheathing to rim joist picking up the
load from there and transferring it down the wall.  If this type of connection
isn't easily accomplished then I use straps to ensure transfer of load from
the shearwall above to the shearwall below.

Good catch on the figure.

Take care,
Lloyd Pack, P.E.