RE: Buy American Steel

You’re right. The Japanese cars run forever, unlike our domestic-engineered product. (Just trying to get folks riled up around here.)

On the serious side, if the steel is “smelted” in the US, it makes no difference what the source of the scrap is, as long as it is not foreign billet material. Go here for the FHWA viewpoint.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/programadmin/contracts/070689.htm

As a side note, the engineer / architect should be more concerned with LEEDS ratings than foreign scrap content.

As a second side note, is the engineer/architect verifying that the source of the cement is not Canadian?

Bob