Re: Incompetent Plan Checker -- Was: Ceiling deflection damage caused by exc...

Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
"A week or two" sounds like heaven!!  I've had reports of months before even getting a first review from the building department.  Berkeley's promise (as I understand it) of a 3-week turnaround is the best I've seen.  A little one-room addition to a house in a small town near Berkeley CA took 5 months to get approval, with NO complications (like variances)!

Ralph Hueston Kratz, S.E.
Richmond CA USA

Ralph-
5 months  is surprising. Does this include time for planning department's review?

In many cases, planning department's approval takes much longer even though the projects did not require variances or hearing. One of the reasons is some architects (particularly those with 30 years of experience -:)) do not do enough homework/research before submitting for planning review - such as setbacks, additional parking spaces etc., although planning department requirements for AVERAGE projects are clearly spelled out and available thru their websites.

The infamous "I" word should apply to some people on both sides of the counter (engineers/architects vs. plan checkers). In a perfect world, there would be no position such as plan checkers or no office such as building department. So, we can generalize.

Suresh Acharya, S.E.
Richmond, CA