Re: 1923 Vintage CA Concrete Building

On 11 Mar 2005, at 12:54, David Topete wrote:

> Could it be 1 part water, 2 parts cement, 4 parts
> aggregate?
> David Topete, S.E.
> SF, CA
> --- Eknrinc(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
> > I am evaluating a 1923 California reinforced
> > concrete building.
> >
> > Plans call for 1-2-4 concrete mix, and deformed
> > bars.
> >
> > Anyone have information regarding design strengths
> > used back then?
> >
> > TIA

Probably, 1 part cement, 2 parts sand, 4 parts aggregate.
As to the strengths that you could expect to get in the concrete,
that would be anybody's guess.  I would core it and have it
tested to really know what you're dealing with.  You could
bounce a Schmidt hammer off of it and get a ballpark compressive
strength, but I would consider that to have variance of ± 800-1000
psi.  The best way to find out is the core test.

My copy of Pocket Ref 2nd Ed. by Thomas J. Glover has some concrete
information on p. 75.  It shows this mix design ratio as being
applicable to lintels, reinforced roads, buildings, walls;exposed.
Depending upon the w/c ratio of the mix and the curing moisture
over the last 83 years, your strengths have a huge variability.
Gotta test it.

Take care,
Lloyd Pack, P.E.