Re: 1923 Vintage CA Concrete Building

In a message dated 3/11/05 12:55:21 PM, davetopete(--nospam--at)yahoo.com writes:
Could it be 1 part water, 2 parts cement, 4 parts
aggregate?

Cement, sand, gravel, I believe.  It would be interesting to know what strength this develops almost a century later.  My father used the same "formula" when hoe-mixing concrete when I was a kid.  I don't think the concept of "design strength" entered into it.

In my home town of Doylestown PA
about the same time a guy named Mercer built several fairly large structures up to 5 stories with such a mix and they're still standing--with some deterioration of course--housing museums and forming a major tourist attraction.

Ralph